Experimenting with paper, inks, stamps, paints, fabrics, stitches, metal..........

Experimenting with paper, inks, stamps, paints, fabrics, stitches, metal..........

Thursday, 20 April 2017

Sherwood Art Week ATC Gallery 2016

Another successful Artist Trading Card Swap for what is now a firm fixture on the Sherwood Art Week calendar.

Once again artists prepared ten cards (2.5 x 3.5 inches) in their chosen medium, which were viewed at a mini exhibition and networking event,  randomly swapped, then posted out to the artists.  In this swap we had artists take part from Yorkshire and the West Midlands as well as Nottingham.  Our local free school also submitted ATCs for the swap.

Monday, 6 June 2016

Clarity Stamp Challenge - Masculine

The Clarity Stamp Challenge  theme this month is Masculine.  Along with an ATC swap coming up with the theme Yellow, and reading on various blogs lately about mixing of stamps and stencils, I thought I would try out some ideas with Clarity products for their challenge.  After a few fails; yellow finger marks and smudges mainly, I was quite please with the final look.

I used just a few stamps and Jo's Bubbles stencil. Stamps used were from the remountable Leaf set and the Making a Point set.

Part of the tree trunk was stamped three times in a row in black Versafine ink.  When dry, the yellow colour was stencilled over the top to create some stylised tree shapes.  Some black detail was added with an archival pen through the stencil on the middle tree and from stamps on the other two trees.

Some co-ordinating card was prepared and the image was layered up onto black and yellow spotty card, before mounting on a black card blank.

Monday, 30 May 2016

Clarity Stamp Challenge - Anything Goes

It's been a while since I've entered a challenge, or blogged at all, for that matter, but here is my entry for Clarity Stamp challenge this month.

The theme this month is Anything Goes, so I have revisited some stamping and stitching, using some of my favourite stamps.

Firstly, some cotton was coloured with Distress Inks.

Then, interfacing was heat bonded onto the fabric.

A mock-up was prepared on some scrap paper of the stamping layout before stamping on the actual fabric.

Using Versafine ink, which works well on cotton, the fabric was stamped with some of the grasses stamps.

Once the ink was dry, some free machine stitching was added in a few different colours.

Finally, some hand embroidery was added.

The finished fabric postcard.

Clarity products used;
Wee Foliage Stamp Set
Grass and Flower Head Stamp Set

Sunday, 30 August 2015

Clarity Challenge - Bingo

This month's Clarity Challenge is Bingo!  The challenge is to create a piece of work using any of the techniques or materials from the bingo board, in a line, the four corners or a full house.

I wasn't intending to make a 'Full House', but that is exactly what I ended up making.

Starting off how so many pieces have recently, with some cardboard, this time in the shape of a giant tag. Using tweezers some of the top layer of paper over the cardboard was removed.

Grunge paste was applied to the tag through a circle stencil with a palette knife.  Some waste grunge paste was applied directly to the tag to create some texture.


Once dry the tag was covered in a coat of black gesso and then two coats of the fabulous Squid Ink chalk acrylic paint.


Some Versamark was applied through the stencil with some sponge and purple Perfect Pearls was applied on top.  Using a craft stick more Perfect Pearls powder was placed around the tag and spritzed with water.  The mica powder and water mixture was allowed to run into the grooves and around the grunge pasted areas and dried with a heat gun.

Tacky glue was applied, to catch the raised areas of the tag, using a piece of waste card.  The glue was dried with a heat gun until very sticky and the tag was dipped into a tub of silver gilding flake. The flake was pressed onto the tag, then the waste was removed using a stiff stencil brush.

A piece of black card was painted with the same chalk acrylic as the tag and dried with a heat gun. A perfect stamping surface, Brilliance Platinum Planet was used to stamp Clarity's Small Fern randomly over the page.  A small piece of cardboard painted in Squid Ink chalk acrylic was stamped in the same ink using Create from the Word Chain 1 by Claritystamp. The ink was heat set.  A silver Sharpie was used to edge the create panel.

Grunge flower dies from PaperArtsy were used to cut some flowers from the stamped card and some shrink plastic.  The flowers cut from the decorated card were formed slightly by using a large ball tool over a foam mat.

The shrink plastic was covered in Silver Mixatives Alcohol ink and shrunk with a heat gun before it dried (in a well ventilated area).  The mixative inks do wonderful things when heated creating loads of texture on the tiny flowers.  The thick edges of the plastic were coloured with the silver Sharpie where necessary.

The paper flowers and shrink plastic embellishments were applied to the tag along with the Create panel with gel medium.

Glitter glue was used to apply my favourite kind of glitter, chunky crushed glass glitter.

The finishing touch was to cut up some dark grey cross grain ribbon to make it more 'tatty' and apply some silver acrylic paint and some purple mica powder.

Here's what was used;
Claritystamp Small Palm Stamp
Claritystamp Word Chain 1 Stamp
Claritystamp Jo's Bubble Stencil
PaperArtsy Grunge Flower Dies

Daler Rowney Black Gesso
PaperArtsy Fresco Finish Paint - Squid Ink
Daler Rowney Acrylic - Silver
Ranger Alcohol Mixatives - Silver
Versamark Ink Pad
Brilliance Ink Pad - Platinum Planet
Tombow Mono Multi Glue
Golden - Heavy Gel Medium
Paperartsy Grunge Paste
Stampendous Crushed Glass Glitter - Silver
Stickles Glitter - Gunmetal
Perfect Pearls - Forever Violet
Crafty Notions Gilding Flake - Silver
Shrink Plastic
Black Card
Sharpie - Silver